WingsConnect - Making Aviation Connections

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Flying Inspirations: Tangier KTGI Flight, Check!

Putting an APB out for my socks because they were KNOCKED OFF when I sonic boomed, as a result of my Awesome flight to Tangier, Virginia! 
3 words -->What a flight!!! 

The first time Tangier got on my radar was me seeing a picture and article in AOPA's Flight Training Magazine (see below, I still have this edition!!:-)). I was intrigued and interested in flying into Tangier when the time was right.

If you get a chance to fly to KTGI, take it!! Flying over the island and seeing the runway is such a memorable experience! On this day of flight, it was double digits windy with double digit gusts in Virginia. Despite that it was a fun and smooth flight! 

Ever since I shared my plans to fly to Tangier, I've received enthusiastic responses from pilots who have experienced this memorable flight themselves. Part of what I really enjoy about the journey of learning is hearing tips shared by those willing to dish so I can have as much fun on my trips as possible with added "insider" details! I, in turn, enjoy sharing the information I receive and experience in my posts for another to gain insights.

I was excited to visit Tangier! <-- Understatement:-) I'm tickled I did it and the memories of seeing the sights from above give me a lingering Cheshire Cat smile. Here are some pictures and insights from my flight and brief island visit!

I'd love to hear your favorite memories of Flying Tangier! Leave me a comment. 

A fantastic picture Jim shared with me taken last year on Final for Runway 20. Unfortunately, on this trip I didn't get any Tangier approach or take off pictures since the GoPro's battery I had drained.:-(Oh well, guess I'll just have to return!;-)
Epic Photo! Picture credit: Jim Oddono, NKA W96 CFI 

Here is the 10/2013 AOPA Flight Training Magazine where I first laid eyes on Tangier! 
I definitely want to fly into more of the island runways on this list!

I've hightlighted a couple things that helped make this a smooth flight for me.
-Orange circles are key visual markers that I used to keep me on track. 
-Orange arrows show you my intent to travel closer to land vs cross the water. 
-Yellow circles are VORs I used to triangulate my location through the flight.
-Blue rectangle shows the 64 highway, a great marker to follow to take me right to my FBO!
My flight instructor Jim has done a great job teaching me about VOR navigation. I really like using it to triangulate my location and track where I am in relation to the VORs I've selected. Here is a training video by MzeroA on VOR nav:
I like Jason's training videos a lot. You should subscribe! He's got good topics.
Here we are traveling towards Hummel W75, one of my visual markers. FYI: Photos I take inflight I do after positive exchange of controls.
Tappahannock Bridge to my left & I know W75 is right near it.
Pretty lands end.
Swinging around Watts Island!!
Watts Island and I spy Tangier Island off yonder!!:-)
Landed on Runway 2 (Right Traffic Pattern). Hi Tangier! 
Now on the ground, I was on a mission. We headed into town to get our aviation stamp & some eats.
PILOT TIP: To get to town, walk away from the airport towards the water tank pictured below, take a left over the bridge, walk to the end of the road & Lorraine's is to your left.
Walking over the bridge & towards town.
Here we are!
Cheshire Cat smile after arriving!
Pilot Tip: Get your VA Avi Ambassador stamp at Lorraine's! Here's Jim getting his stamp.
Yummy crab cakes.
Check out the size of the crab cakes!
Jim got the crab cake sandwich.
Smiling with these lovely ladies --> Jaime (Lorraine's daughter) & Lorraine. Visit their restaurant and try those crab cakes! Their restaurant celebrated 30 years in
business & they were was featured in Southern Living Magazine 7/2012.
Time to go get another landing in before heading back to W96!:-)
Let me take a quick picture. Bundled up!
I LOVE this view. Taking off Runway 2!
Beautiful sights at high altitudes.
I love these views!

Tried out GoPro for the 1st time yesterday. Here are 2 videos I created mini-movies with music. Check them out!

Windy Virginia W96 Takeoff

Brief clip of my flight over the big blue Chesapeake Bay!

For those who have flown into KTGI: 
What are your favorite highlights? 
What do I need to check out next visit?

For those who have not visited KTGI yet:
Find an opportunity to go, especially if you're nearby. I was told it was a special flight and it is now one of my favorite aviation memories!

Happy and Safe Flying, Always!

More on Tangier Island: 

Check out AOPA's Flight Training Magazine. I dig them! http://flighttraining.aopa.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment