WingsConnect - Making Aviation Connections

Friday, February 6, 2015

Talk LiveATC Radio to me & other aviation digital tools I use to enhance my flying experience!

Flying is one of my deep passions. What it gives me is the opportunity to leave the ordinary and soar into extraordinary. Few things in Life THIS exhilarating. A delicious blend of intense focus, zen, love and freedom.

For me, in learning to fly, it is about nailing the fundamentals without dependency on all fancy tech gadgets. That being said, I embrace these additional tools as secondary tools to enhance my flying experience. In this post, I'll share a few of my favorite tech digital aviation tools that I actively use.

Pilots - I'd love to hear what you are using, even if they are some of the same. It's through pilot referrals that I discovered these tools!

Foreflight - I really like using this on my iPad and iPhone, both in flying and on the ground. When on the ground, I'm often looking up FBOs I'm contemplating to visit in the near future or just poking around to view details about places I have been while familiarizing myself with the features. I use a lot of the runway details, taxi diagrams, view specs about the FBO, etc. 

This app is loaded with information! It is a great secondary reference for situational awareness, along with increasing productivity in choosing better routes (ie winds by altitude details, etc). Oh, I also like the TFR setting so you can be sure to avoid those hot spots. If don't have Foreflight yet and are interested in learning more, I included the site link above for you to peruse further.


Stratus - I have the original that works fine for me. I love the seamless integration with ForeFlight. I bought mine from Sporty's and here's their description of it, "The original Stratus is the easiest, least expensive way to get subscription-free weather on your iPad. Stratus is a totally wireless, portable receiver that streams NEXRAD radar, text weather, TFRs and GPS position to the ForeFlight app—all without a monthly subscription. Simply turn on Stratus, connect to your iPad and go flying. There are no wires, no subscriptions and no hassles." I'm a fan of it, especially for having what I feel is enhanced GPS and more current weather feeds. Click here to view this device and more details on Sport's site.


LiveATC Wow, I really dig this mobile app!! It's such a great way to listen to ATC and pilot radio talk to expose ones ears to what is conveyed. I listen to it whenever I want on my iPhone or iPad. All kinds of handy features in this bad boy like various channels worldwide (Wow!), diagrams, Wx and frequencies. Click here to read my July 2014 post about this useful app.

So, FESS UP, Pilots...What are some of the digital tools you are using to enhance your flying experience and accuracy?

Happy and Safe Flying, Always!


No comments:

Post a Comment