WingsConnect - Making Aviation Connections

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Extraordinary Perspectives & the Push to Upgrade!

It's not everyday I see the world at 1000 feet then frolick at ground level at the place I just flew over the previous day, but that's what happened on my last flight!

enjoyed a great flight with my CFI to Charlottesville KCHO, flew along the James River, then to Chesterfield Executive KFCI, then back to New Kent. Matt called in to get permission to fly along the James River. Spectacular!

So my plan was to fly to KCHO in the day to see it since I could barely make out anything in my night flying there last month. So awesome to see the mountains and terrain during the day!

I got some great radio work in with Potomac Approach and KCHO Tower. We used Flight Following which I am a fan. So, I know I'm not alone in feeling like, "Errr, do I really need to talk to Approach or Tower?" Even so, I like that I have to push myself to do it to get better. I was pleased with my radio talk on this flight. I felt I performed well. I took away things I could do better next round, see what I did well, and am left with the knowledge that Flight Following is a great service I plan to take advantage of during training and once I'm flying as a PP! What a fantastic service that makes me feel even better having those extra eyes on what's going on in the airspace.

Anyways, since I know I'm not alone in some of the initial radio talk apprehensions, I thought I'd share a useful video on radio talk. I'm a big fan of Jason Schappert (@mzeroa on Twitter). Here's a great YouTube he did on taking to ATC in Class Delta on arrival. Seeing his videos are really helpful to me. I hope you find some value in his shares. I really like the initial cold call technique, which I used after watching his video.

Here's Jason requesting VFR flight following. This is one of my favorite videos because so much changes in flight and he shows viewers how to handle the situation flawlessly! Show how staying alert, calm and confident in your abilities is key to success. These are great examples for aviation and beyond in dealing with rapid changes. Great example to learn from:

The biggest takeaway for me on my flight was to appreciate the very different perspectives, a sense of accomplishment in smooth flying, appreciation for Flight Following, improved 2-way radio talk, plus I scoped out a potential cross country route. I believe I found it in W96-KCHO-KFCI-W96!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Aviation provides me with an incredible level of challenge and feelings of accomplishment in my growing experiences. Aviation pushes me to focus only on the flying when I'm flying, demands my best, challenges me in ways I feel the stretch and love the growth/achievements I experience in each successful flight. I'm so happy to have found my love for flight. Learning to fly has enhanced my Life in many ways and I'm excited for my best chapters yet to come!

Now, let me share a coupe pictures with you from this flight. Here's my post flight smile! You know me. I enjoy a great avi photo opportunity!

This was KCHO on approach to land last month during my night flight. You couldn't see anything really. You need to feel confident in your instrument reading when it's pitch black out. I welcomed the added chalkenge! Did 2 touch and gos that night.
This is Charlottesville views during the day. Beautiful rolling mountains and fields. I gained a great appreciation seeing the terrain during the day. So beautiful! 
I love the rolling mountains as far as the eyes can see!
My CFI Matt Welch took controls so I could enjoy the James River fly over. I flew it last time. This time I welcomed the opportunity to take in the view and snap a few pictures of my favorite spots!
Neat shot with my Stratus and the Z bridge in sight. I've said it before. I'm a big fan of Stratus and Foreflight! 
Area I enjoy fishing, the James River!
Highway 76 into Downtown Richmond. I drive on this road. It's so amazing to see it from 1000 feet!!:-)
Richmond has no shortage of bridges. I just love the James River!! If I'm not flying, I'm fishing.
This was a cool sight to take in. It's a beautiful spot in Richmond called Maymont. Beautiful grounds that inspire painters, poets and more. For me, it was a point of interest because I had just been there as a volunteer to support a clean up effort of fallen magnolia leaves. Hmmm, from 1000 feet I can happily report the grounds look spotless!!;-)
Departing the James River flyover to redirect to Chesterfield Executive. I did a touch and go there before heading back to W96.
When we landed we were treated by catching a Chinook flyover. This picture does no justice to this huge flying awesome beast!:-)
This is a picture I took of a Cessna flyover as I was fishing on the James River. It's such an extraordinary perspective to look up and not only admire those flying over, but to know I've been up there, too... soon to return for more!:-)

All in all another great flight! More great experience. More great memories!

Stay tuned for my next post. I've secured a new WingsConnect /Aviators Lounge Featured Pilot Interview! Very inspiring responses and action pictures. You won't want to miss it! Stay tuned!!

Until then, Happy and Safe Flying, Always!

Emily






No comments:

Post a Comment