WingsConnect - Making Aviation Connections

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Military Appreciation Month Spotlight: "This story is for heroes." Buckle up and read this inspiring story of Dedication, Teamwork and Courage!

It gives me immense pleasure to highlight those I meet along the way who have done exceptional things in their Life that truly inspire me. It makes me happy to shine the light on Erik Sabiston, whom I know, that just released a book about an incredible mission.

I just finished reading Dustoff 7-3. If you enjoy, like I do, a story of courage under extreme situations, dedication, and teamwork to pull off what could seem like the impossible for most, then snag a copy of this book now! I recommend it. 

It gave me a glimpse into a world many will never know, but would pray for a crew this dedicated to be there to rescue and retrieve loved ones serving in far off places who become injured. The story of Dustoff 7-3 kept me intrigued by laying out a story that became a journey into learning more this extraordinary Life experience, as told by Erik. He paints a picture of events leading up to and in the midst of an unforgettable mission he and his crew would experience and come out of successfully together. 

These are Real American Heroes. Unsung heroes who put themselves in harms way with such an intense sense of duty in looking out for others. Growing up on military bases, I admired that quality very much in many positive examples I saw. There was an above average sense of serving, not for fame and glory, but a sense of pride and community. I felt that same appreciation reading the actions of the troops in this book. Very inspiring and I'm glad I learned more about each of these individuals!  

Pick up a copy, read it and may you also be as inspired as I was that a crew as dedicated and giving their all exists. If I had someone I loved serving and they found themselves injured, I'd pray a crew like this would sweep them up out of harms way. 

Dustoff 7-3 received the Army Aviation Association of America's top honor for their mission, featured in this book, that occurred in Kunar Providence Afghanistan in June 2011. This mission was named Air/Sea Rescue that year. All 4 crew members received a Metal of Valor. Sabiston, Bringloe, and Brodhead received the Distinguished Flying Cross, the highest award in aviation. Capps received the Air Medal of Valor.

From the story, I took away a strong sense that each crew member brought important qualities and support, at different times and sometimes at the same time, resulting in a winning team dynamic that netted an exceptional mission accomplished.

Pick up a copy on Amazon, search for Dustoff 7-3 

In addition to reading the book, check out this cool video of them as part of Newsweek's Heroes Summit:


No comments:

Post a Comment