WingsConnect - Making Aviation Connections

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

ATTENTION!! Meet 1st Lieutenant Daniel Jackson, my First USMC Aviator Spotlight Interview!

Fasten your seatbelts, my Fellow Aviation Enthusiastic Friends! I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to share with you my interview on Daniel, my first US Military Aviator Feature ~ WOOHOOO or if you're a fellow Marine like him, give a loud HOORAH.

Daniel is another aviator I connected with through Instagram. Got to love the possibilities social media can unleash in terms of making new connections.:-) 

As with all my Pilot Spotlight Interviews to date, I am inspired and have gained more perspective through Daniel's responses and aviation action pictures shared! I couldn't help but smile as I read the excitement and passion he has for flying.

I look forward to following his flying adventures on Instagram and watching him excel in his US Military Aviation career!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to Daniel Jackson, USMC 1st Lt ~ WOOHOOO!!:-)

Hawker Beech T-6B student
35 hours in type, 55 hours total (Note: I'm sure he's gained more hours since our interview!:-))

Question 1: Tell me your Love at First Flight story and how you fell in love with aviation - where & when was your first flight? Also, what did you fly?

I've always loved planes. My father was a US Navy P-3B and C flight engineer so I had always been around the environment. I haven't imagined doing anything else. Being a 3 year old in 1991 didn't hurt with Top Gun being only a few years old! My very first flight was at the age of 15 in a DHC-2 Beaver modified with pontoons. We took off from Boeing Field, landed a few times in Lake Washington and headed back. It was owned by a friend of my grandfather who is a retired United 747-400 pilot. My first flight for a lesson was in a 1972 Cessna 172M ... N61814. That was also the first plane I soloed in, in the US Navy's Initial Flight Screening program prior to flying orange and white planes. Not once have I questioned my desire to fly. In addition to the 172 and my current T-6B, I have stick time in the King Air 90, Cessna 182 and the Rutan-Long EZ. 

Question 2: What is the best advice you can give to fellow pilots?

Never give up on your dreams and ambitions. Flight is surely man's greatest adventure. If you throw in the towel when it gets hard, you will never know what would have been. You will always look up and wonder, and you will probably regret it, too. 

Question 3: What is your favorite part of being involved in aviation?

I love the passion all aviators share. We are obsessed, aggressive, adventurous people by nature. Put yourself with these kinds of people and fun times are always in reach. I love the fact that we, as aviators, experience something that so many people will never understand. Sharing this passion with someone is just as amazing when they get bit by the flight bug too! The only other group I can imagine such a close unspoken bond (outside of the military) is between motorcycle riders, a group I am proud to be a part of as well. 

Question 4: What is the best eating spots you've found in your aviation travels?

So far I haven't had the opportunity to travel far, as most of my flights start and end at the same field. Just recently I was able to fly to the former Craig AFB, now Selma Air Center (KSEM), AL on a check ride with a night flight to Bay Minette (K1R8) and Mobile Downtown (KBFM) before retuning home. We got good home cooked food at Selma! I've eaten at Monroe County (KMVC) and Bay Minette (K1R8) had an awesome Taco Thursday! My CCX experience is sorely limited, unfortunately. 

Question 5: What are your favorite airports that you've flown into and why?

I've done all my flying in the Bay Area and Central Valley of California, and the Florida panhandle and So. Alabama. I have enjoyed all the fields immensely, because, hey- flying is flying! If I really had to pick I would choose K2R4, Peter Prince field in Milton, FL because I truly learned to fly there, had my first solo there, and found out that I was really going to make this whole flying for a living plan work out! The most challenging airfield I've landed at any one time is probably NAS North Whiting just because it is so busy and there are ridiculous course rules and providers there, not to mention the sheer volume of traffic of student pilots missing calls and flying erratically (I won't pretend I'm not included!) while a veteran instructor has hawk-eyes on every mistake you make! 

Check out some of Daniel's aviation action shots!

His aerobatic solo complete!

First walk around as Pilot in Command!
Nice!!
Ready for action!
Cessna flying
Representing!
Code name: Hercules!!
Living it up (literally!:-))

That was such a great read, Daniel. I'm smiling like a Cheshire Cat! Thank you again for sharing your responses and aviation pictures with me and my audience. Inspiring stuff!

I agree, Top Gun was a great recruiting tool, no doubt. I also agree with you about the love of the shared passion amongst fellow aviators. We are indeed intensely passionate, aggressive, adventurous people by nature. When I discovered my flying passion and met other pilots, I felt I finally met my kind. They are not your average bear!

Looking forward to following your continued aviation career advancement.

Safe flying, Always!!

Follow Daniel's adventures on Instagram. His handle is Shooter034!




No comments:

Post a Comment